Summer is here and I have a heightened awareness of BBQ. I love the smokey, hickory and different flavors that come out over grill. Its wonderful.
The summer is a great time one of the few times when most African Americans are on one accord for the pursuit of celebration with families & friends. Seriously, The Diaspora has a historical, emotional, and spiritual connection and special aura around the grill. Especially men, WE LOVE THE GRILL IN THE SUMMER. In fact, a friend once told me that she was dating a man and when she found out he really could not grill and well they are not dating.
But I digress back to this amazing unspoken communication. Black folks have diverse taste buds and they can be cumbersome. There are always those couple people that are watching their weight or just don’t like their grilled vegetables touching on the grill. So with that in mind, I decided to do something for the culture and create these vegetable friendly amazing little sliders. Here is what you need to know about them:
- They are only about 100 Calories at best. The multigrain bread gives the most calories at about 60 calories.
- The seasonings in the marinade originate from the indigenous cultures of southern Chile and I mixed them with olive oil. Trust the oil allows these mushrooms to be #drippinwithsauce
- The Mushrooms have lots of fat soluble vitamins (A,D) that are wonderful for your skin all over your body.
- Swiss Cheese has lots of Calcium and Phosphate which are good for your teeth and bones
No lie, if you make these little sliders, your grill game will go up another level. Most importantly, that auntie, picky vegetarian and those meat eaters will beg for more and real talk its about time we all had some #guiltfreegrilling
- 4 Whole Portobello Mushrooms
- 4 Tablespoons of Olive Oil
- ½ white onion diced
- 1 Tablespoon Italian Seasoning
- 1 Tablespoon of Coriander Seeds
- ½ teaspoon of Siracha
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- ½ teaspoon Pepper
- Pack of Multigrain Rolls
- 8 slices of Natural Swiss Cheese
- ½ red onion sliced in strips
- Romaine Lettuce
- FIRST THINGS FIRST: CLEAN OFF YOUR GRILL WITH A GOOD BRISTLE. GET OFF THOSE BURNT SPECKS. YOU DON'T WANT THE TASTE OF PRIOR FOOD TAKING AWAY FROM THESE. ITS AN L. TRUST!! AFTER THE GRILL IS CLEANED, LET IT DRY AND OIL THE BBQ GRATES WITH OLIVE OIL.
- Prepare the mushrooms by deveining them. To do this take a spoon and scoop out the black gills under neath the mushroom. Be careful not to break the mushrooms. Cut the Multigrain rolls in half, cut the red onion and break a part the lettuce and sit to them side.
- In a large mixing bowl combine all the ingredients, covering the mushrooms and mix. Put the bowl in refrigerator for at least an hour. DON'T THROAW AWAY MARINADE!!!
- Heat the grill to medium low heat. If you are using a gas grill under 300. If charcoal wait till the coals are dark grey/black
- Place the mushrooms over indirect heat. Doesn't matter which side.
- Keep the mushrooms moist with the marinade with a brush. Cook 5-8 minutes each side.
- After you flip the mushrooms once, toast the multigrain rolls.
- Remove the mushrooms and rolls from the grill.With the left over marinade, dip each half of the roll in the marinade just enough covering the inside halves.
- Cut the mushrooms in quarters and place on the bread slices. Then break the swiss cheese slices and place on top of the mushrooms.
- Finally add the romaine lettuce, red onion and make the sandwich. Place the tooth pick in the middle of the sandwich