I LOVE SEAFOOD !
Being from Maryland, I absolutely love everything seafood! Blue crabs are life and they are best in Maryland. Some of my favorite memories involve Sunday afternoons, watching football, and a barrel of crabs! But now that I’ve been away from Maryland for so long, I have to satisfy my seafood craving with other tasty underwater treats. This is where these delicious pan seared scallops come into play.
Health Benefits of Pan Seared Lemon Garlic Scallops
Scallops are often consider a guilty unhealthy treat since they often appear in decadent restaurant meals that are overloaded with calories. However, Scallops are more than 80 percent protein. One 3-ounce serving provides 20 grams of protein and just 95 calories. They’re also a good source of both magnesium and potassium! Finally, like most seafood choice, Scallops are full of Omega 3 Fatty acids which are great for improving cardiovascular health and brain function! Be sure to check out this link to further learn about this powerful super food Scallops Super Food
How to Eat Them?
Pan Seared scallops are the best way to eat them and hold off on the rich overly thick cream sauces that are often paired on top. Pan searing is quick and easy and creates a nice thick crust on top of the scallop that provides great texture to this mollusk! Additionally, cooking in EVOO with a small amount of ghee clarified butter provide the good fats that your body needs to feel satiated.
Check out this recipe below for a quick, healthy, and delicious seafood treat that will be sure to satisfy your seafood cravings! Additionally, I paired this recipe with a nice crisp glass of chardonnay which really helped complete the flavor palate that I was searching for!
Like this recipe? Tell us below! We would love to hear from you 🙂
Peace and Love,
Aubrey J. Grant MD
- 1 lb large scallops
- 1/4 c clarified butter ghee
- 5 cloves garlic grated
- 1 large lemon zested
- 1/4 c Italian parsley roughly chopped
- 1/4 tsp peppercorn medley freshly ground
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- A pinch of sweet paprika
- 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- Clean scallops and pat dry.
- Heat a large cast iron skillet to medium with olive oil
- in a medium bowl toss the scallops with EVOO just enough to coat it all over.
- Sprinkle them with cracked pepper, red pepper flakes and sweet paprika.
- Add a little drizzle of butter ghee to the hot skillet, just enough to coat the bottom. Add the scallops making sure not to overcrowd the pan, and sear for about 2 minutes on each side until nicely golden.
- Add the butter ghee to the skillet with the scallops and then add the garlic.
- Remove from heat and using a spatula push the garlic around to infuse the sauce for about 30 seconds. The heat from the skillet will be enough for the garlic to work its magic into the butter.
- Squeeze half of the lemon all over the scallops and move the skillet around a little so it combines with the butter.
- Sprinkle with the minced parsley, lemon zest and a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil.