Beets are a wonderful source of dietary nitrates and they have recently been studied as a possible nutritional supplement to help with vascular function. In a 2016 study published in JACC, it was found that just consuming beets for everyday for only one week has a significant effect on improving blood pressure in patients with heart failure.
Link to the article can be found here: Benefits of beet juice.
Try this recipe and for a great and delicious way to get beets into your diet!
- 1 medium banana
- 1½ cups strawberries, frozen
- 1 cup beets, chopped*
- 1 cup almond milk
- ½ cup raspberries or other berries of choice, frozen
- 1 tablespoon maple stevia
- Place all ingredients into a blender or food processor.
- Blend until completely smooth and there are no chunks left
- Adjust sweetener as needed.
- Pour into glasses and enjoy!