- 2 tuna steaks
- 4 sprigs of thyme (you can also use rosemary, fennel fronds, tarragon, or chervil)
- 3-6 thin slices of lemon, halved
- A drizzle of olive oil
- 3 cups sea salt or kosher salt (preferably a mix of 2 cups coarse and 1 cup fine)
- 1 egg white
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a bowl, mix together the salts and the egg white with your hand. Add water a bit at a time until the mixture reaches the consistency of wet sand that you might use to build a sand castle
- Pat the salt around each tuna, about 1/4 inch thick, creating a tight seal.
- To stuff each fish, find the thickest part of the fish and make a pocket cavity with half the thyme and lemon.
Bake for 30 minutes, then allow to rest for 10. The tuna is cooked all the way through even though it is pink int he middle. You don’t want it dry. Serve over some rice and enjoy